Winchester: Committed to Safe, Legal and Responsible Firearm Use
As a global leader in the shooting sports and hunting industry, and a brand of 156 years, Winchester is committed to safe, legal and responsible firearm use. Winchester works with key groups like the National Shooting Sports Foundation on a variety of topics important to our industry including training and education, and on specific programs such as Gun Owners Care and Project ChildSafe. Winchester will continue to support programs, organizations and individuals that promote hunting and shooting sports activities in a positive and responsible environment. Any use of firearms by youth participants should be done under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult.
Basics of Safe Gun Handling
From the time you pick up a firearm, you become part of a system over which you have complete control. You are the only part of the system that can make a gun safe or unsafe.
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
- Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use
- Don't rely on your gun's "Safety"
- Be sure of your target and what's beyond it
- Use correct ammunition
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care!
- Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting
- Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting
- Don't alter or modify your gun, and have guns serviced regularly
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using
The Gun Owners Care initiative is focused on educating the public about the care gun owners have for their neighbors and communities. Because you not only care about safety and preventing unauthorized access to firearms but also bettering your community, helping those in need, and conserving wildlife and wild places for generations to come.
Project ChildSafe is a national program supported by the firearms and ammunition industry that educates and reminds firearm owners to securely store firearms when not in use to help deter access by children, at-risk persons, and individuals legally prohibited from possessing firearms. Proper storage of firearms is the number one way to help prevent accidents, theft and misuse.
Gun owners are encouraged to use a safe storage device that meets their personal and home circumstances. Options for storing firearms as well as tips for safely handling guns can be found at projectchildsafe.org.