350 LEGEND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Basic 350 Legend cartridge specs:
- Bullet Diameter: .357 inch
- Shellcase Length: 1.71 inches
- Overall Cartridge length: 2.26 inches
Which manufacturers are making guns for 350 Legend?
Winchester Repeating Arms is offering several variations of the XPR bolt-action rifle. Additionally, CMMG is offering rifles and rifle components, and several other firearm manufacturers are gearing up for 350 Legend.
Is the 350 Legend compatible with standard 223 Rem/5.56mm magazines?
No, the 350 Legend requires a slightly different magazine, due to the cartridge dimensions that maximize performance.
If 350 Legend really the “fastest straight-walled hunting cartridge”?
Yes, the 350 Legend is the fastest SAAMI-approved straight-walled hunting cartridge for use in states that have specific regulations for deer hunting with straight-walled centerfire cartridges. Those states include, but may not be limited to: Michigan, Ohio, Iowa and Indiana.
Does the 350 Legend really have more energy than 30-30 Winchester?
Yes, when both cartridges have the same barrel length, 350 Legend has more energy. Please note the Winchester Ammunition catalog lists X3030DS with a 24” barrel, and a 20” barrel for X350DS. When X3030DS and X350DS have the same 20” barrel length, the 350 Legend creates more muzzle energy than 30-30 Win. Firearms chambered for 30-30 Winchester commonly use 20” barrels, which is similar to the Winchester XPR rifle with a 20” barrel chambered for 350 Legend.
Does the 350 Legend really have greater penetration than 243 Winchester?
Yes, when comparing similarly constructed Deer Season XP® Extreme Point® bullets, 350 Legend achieves greater penetration than 243 Winchester.
What is the 350 Legend parent case?
350 Legend has no parent case. However, 350 Legend uses the same .378 nominal rim diameter as 223 Rem. The 350 Legend shellcase is a new design that maximizes terminal performance while optimizing the ability to extract from a variety of firearms.
Can I reload 350 Legend using 223 Rem/5.56mm brass?
No, the 350 Legend was designed to maximize effectiveness of a .357 diameter bullet loaded into a straight-walled shellcase with an overall cartridge length of 2.26 inches. In doing so, an entirely new shellcase was designed.
What barrel twist rate is optimized for 350 Legend?
A: Barrels with 1:16 twist rates have shown to stabilize a variety of bullet weights and types.
Will 350 Legend be available for lever action?
Currently, Winchester is offering bolt-action XPR rifles. However, the 350 Legend cartridge is compatible with a variety of firearm platforms.
What is the release date?
Ammunition will be available in April 2019.
What is the maximum effective range?
350 Legend was designed for deer hunting out to 250 yards.
Where can I find the SAAMI drawings/info?
SAAMI has publicly published cartridge drawings and other technical information at the following link: https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/350-Legend-CC-Drawing-Website.pdf
BASIC 20” BARREL DATA (compare to 30-30 WIN)
- X350DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,325 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,800 ft/lb
- X3501 – 180 Grain Power Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,100 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,762 ft/lb
- X3030DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,205 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,619 ft/lb
BASIC 16” BARREL DATA (compare to 300 Blackout and 223 Rem.)
o X350DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,225 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,649 ft/lb
- X3501 – 180 Grain Power Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,000 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,598 ft/lb
- USA3501 – 145 Grain Full Metal Jacket
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,250 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,630 ft/lb
- X300BLKDS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 1,900 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,202 ft/lb
- X223DS – 64 Grain Extreme Point
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,655 FPS
- Muzzle Energy: 1,002 ft/lb