There is nothing like walking into the house after a cold day in the tree stand and smelling the sweet aroma of meatloaf in the oven. This comfort food is a hunting camp favorite.
With every bite it always takes me back to my grandma’s home cooking! Presume the same is true for you as well. I really love how that it only takes a few ingredients that I usually have on hand. I just mix it all together and throw it in a pan for a quick and easy healthy meal!
Here is what you will need:
- Ground venison (2 lbs)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 oz packet of onion soup mix
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together the meatloaf ingredients (ground venison, onion, egg, salt/pepper, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, milk, and onion soup packet) in a large bowl, using your hands. Be careful not to over mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.
- Spread half the glaze on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Add the meatloaf and spread the remaining sauce on top of the meatloaf.
- Place in oven the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then slice and serve. Enjoy!
I always like to cook meat using a digital oven thermometer to prevent over drying and to make sure that my food hits the correct internal temperature.
Tip: Serve this dish with a vegetable such as beans or with a side of potatoes, for a delicious, healthy meal that the entire family will enjoy!