Last week I shared a video of a 2.5-year-old whitetail buck and the characteristics I used to estimate his age. This week I’ll share another example.
How old do you estimate the buck to be in the following video? I’ll post the characteristics I notice, and at the end my estimate of his age at the bottom. Don’t look down and peak before you guess!
- His back and belly are very straight – this shows best as he walks past the camera at the end of the footage.
- His shoulders appear muscular, but not fully developed.
- His chest doesn’t sag below where his shoulders meet his legs.
- His neck merges with his chest about near the top of his brisket. It is clearly not fully developed – especially considering he just worked a scrape and appears to be trailing a doe.
- If I cover his antlers and simply view his body, he looks like a buck, but not a super buck.
- He doesn’t have the large buffalo shape – extremely large shoulders and neck.
- He appears very physically fit and healthy – not trim (like a 2.5 year old and not massive like a 4 year old or older buck.
I estimate this buck to be 3.5 years old. In fact I believe he’s a great example of the typical body shape of 3.5 year old bucks.
Did we agree?
Growing and Hunting Deer together,